Earn a certificate in 32 weeks or a degree in 2 years!
If it is made of metal, then it can be welded, and welding is a career that plays an integral role in moving industry forward. A life-long rewarding career starts with enrolling in the Advanced Welding/Fabrication Technology program at Missouri State University-West Plains.
This program will give you the skills from basic fabrication to advanced robotics and as a modern welder, it lends the trade skills with technology to prepare you for the essentials needed by industry.
As a National Coalition of Certification Center (nc3) and partner with the Lincoln Electric Education Partnership (LEEPS), student success is our mission and providing you with the ability to quickly obtain essential industry certifications.
Over a 32-week period you will be prepared to test for nc3 welding certifications, as well as, certifications through American Welding Society (AWS). Every instructor is an expert welder with years of experience and will make sure you’ll learn everything you need to know.
You can choose either a two-year Associate of Applied Science in Technology with the option in Advanced Welding/Fabrication or the one-year stand-alone certificate option.
- SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding - Stick) & Advanced
- GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding - MIG) & Advanced
- FCAW (Flux-Cored Arc Welding) & Advanced
- GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding – TIG) & Advanced
- Thermal Cutting: Oxyacetylene
- Thermal Cutting: Plasma
- Thermal Cutting: Carbon Arc Gouging
- Pipe Welding: ASME & API
Included in gear package:
- Welding Helmet
- Welding Jacket
- Welding Gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Doo Rag
- Chipping Hammer
- Welding Pliers
- Carbon Steel Wire Brush
- Lincoln Electric Duffle Bag
- Welders Earn a Median Pay of $44,190 per year or $21.25/hour.
- Job Outlook is bright with a 4% increase (2010-2029).
- Over 50% of all man-made products were created by welding.
- Welding is a career always in demand.
- Types of employment include construction, manufacturing, structural steel, sheet metal, boilermakers, industrial maintenance pipefitters, motorsports, rig and shipyards.
Financial Aid Options
At Missouri State University-West Plains there are many financial aid options available, from federal grants to privately funded scholarships.
AWS Scholarship: Welder/Training Scholarship https://scholarship.aws.org/applications/
Mike Rowe Works Scholarship: https://mikerowe.com/2021/03/apply-for-a-work-ethic-scholarship/
Grizzly Lofts, $3,475 per semester, 19-meals a week, internet and utilities.
The welding lab is currently at the GOCAT facility and classes will be held there for the 2021-2022 academic year. Plans are underway to renovate the Broadway Building on the Missouri State-West Plains campus and permanently locate the lab there. The lab will be equipped with state-of-the-art Lincoln Electric welding equipment and various types of fabrication equipment to provide advanced training.